Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Day My Cowboy Boots Got Rejected



Any girl who has ever heard those power house songs about boots, can’t help but covet for herself a pair of her own power walkers. My opportunity to indulge my wanna be cowboy, came one Christmas when I received a gift card to a shoe store from my sister. I bought those, “These boots were made for walking boots” and did just that, I started walking. I walked those boots till a tiny seem in the back came undone.  I packed my boots up and did what any self-preserving girl would do; I took my boots to the boot doctor. The boot doctor, being Griffin Shoe Repair and Saddlery, I will always suspect taking my high heels along to be repaired that day was code for,  “Baby girl’s cowboy boots ain’t real.”  Or perhaps it was my uncertainty as to refer to the boots in the male, cowboy or the female, cowgirl. What I do know is that nice, gruff, leathery looking man turned my boots down cold.
Our conversation went something like, “Yes, sir, I’d like these high heels re-healed and these cowboy or is it cowgirl boots repaired.” He quickly inspected my boots and proceeded to say, “Mam, there ain’t nuttin I can do for these boots they ain’t real.” Appalled I said, “What, You can’t fix them, can’t you stitch it up? ‘No Mam they ain’t real leather.’ ‘Well, ok I know they’re not real but I REAL-LY like them, isn’t there anything you can do?” He proceeded to explain in great detail how stitching would further weaken the fabric and cause greater tearing.  We went back and forth like this for some time. I tried my best to persuade him, I did. I even mentioned super glue.
I came to the slow realization that this man was not working to keep me cute. So I left my gruff, leathery, I’d prefer to be selling you horse feed, friend my high heels and took my rejected boots back home. Driving home I pondered, what’s a girl to do with rejected cowboy boots? And then it came right back to me, “These boots were made for walking and that’s just what they’ll do, ready boots start walking.” After all it was only a tiny seem.

2 comments:

  1. That is just wrong...cowboygirl boots should NEVER be rejected...but I agree...wear them until the soles fall off b/c they are INCREDIBLY cute on your long legs!!

    p.s. I haven't forgotten about your comment..getting around to some follow up stuff today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized this ENTIRE time I've been "following" you it was under my old Google account and not Blogger. I mean I still got all of your updates, etc. but I didn't have my cutie little family pic up there either...fixed it. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day! Comments are my favorite!