Friday, January 8, 2010

Winter Prison Blues

I hear the train a comin'
It's rolling round the bend
And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when,
I'm stuck in Winter’s prison, and time keeps draggin' on…….

Winter is my folsom prison. His cold hearted, dark sinister ways bar me up within the confines of my house. Yet, despite my bellyaching and moaning and fierce scowls in his direction, he comes, every year just rolling round the bend. Three long months, that's how long Mr. Winter owns me. He locks me up and throws away the key. I can fight it, I can kick and scream and I do, but it doesn't change the fact that for three whole months winter is here to stay. I'm going to make a conscious effort this year to do my time with a positive outlook. Otherwise, I fear I'll come down with a mad case of seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and attempt to tunnel my way to Hawaii. This positivity I attempt to embrace means I'll be hiding under blankets and swimming in all manner of hot beverages. Hot chocolate, that's about all Old Man Winter has going for him. Maybe he'll let me out early for good behavior. Only 70 more days until my release.....

Well, I hope your cell is warm and toasty. I've gotta go, visiting hours are over.

4 comments:

  1. Can you hear me tapping on your cell wall?

    I'm your neighbor trying to tunnel out to Bermuda with the spoon from the mess hall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all sound like Andy Dufresne from Shawshank...but we'd need a poster of Hugh covering up the ginormous hole in the wall!!!

    I'm hating every second too, BB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good movies, good food, good and hot drink....hopefully it all will help keep that yucky disorder away. I'm not sure we can even get up our driveway today....and I have cravings....more hot beverages that you speak of!!

    Stay warm. When you start feeling claustrophobic...do some jumping jacks. I'm not kidding. It boosts your endorphins and makes you happy :) Try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every winter, I'm checking out the Walmarts and Targets of the world hoping this will be the year that they start selling the "light boxes" for S.A.D. How hard would it be for manufacturers to distribute those on a local level? How much cookie dough and t.v. must we consume before we are worthy of a prescription for one? Every cold weather, gray sky hater should have equal access to a light box, I say.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day! Comments are my favorite!