Sunday, February 14, 2010

Oh My Darling, Oh My Darling.........

Oh My Darling, Valentine!
Ok so it's "Clementine" but who wants to speak of fruit on a day of hearts and chocolate?
Not I says the girl who buys herself frivolous presents on the day of love. Wanna know what I bought last year? I thought so.

A red dress. My "I'm young and single and can buy a red dress if I want to dress." The "I'm gonna get me a fella and go on a hot date dress." That hope lasted until December at which point I said REaDy or not, I'm wearing my dress. Dream when you're feeling blue? Oh, please! Buy yourself a red dress and go out on the town with your girlfriends, that works just as well.

I am perfectly at peace with Valentine's day, even without a Valentine. I only had one fight with Valentine's Day, in which I wore black and ignored him and spent the day cursing Hallmark. He wooed me back with a box of chocolates. Now we spend our time making Valentine goodies for little old ladies,
googling vintage Valentine cards, and reminiscing on the glory days of elementary school.


I had no grammar school love triangles, pretty sure it was because I was about two heads taller than my male classmates. That and I was in love with Matthew Laughlin, mmmm, a high schooler  who had fancy cars. He asked me for a piece of paper once, that sealed the deal on our marriage. The lack of young love worked well for me. I was able to spend my time diligently searching for the cards with the suckers and conversation hearts rather than searching to see if Bobby Joe was in love with me. A desk full of Valentines, I don't think it gets much better.

I'm gonna go look at more Vintage Valentines and see if they inspire this year's gift to myself. I'll leave you with my favorite vintage valentine.


Happy Valentine's Day! Eat more chocolate.

3 comments:

  1. Look at that cutie Valentine!! So precious!!

    And I love that dress, Hot Mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo Hoo!!! Wowzers, girl. You look hot to trot!

    I miss my young and single and "I can buy whatever I want" days...enjoy it.

    Your valentine will show up when you least expect it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress is absolutely AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day! Comments are my favorite!