Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Road of A Thousand Thanks

Blogging sometimes seems like the joy of driving without the worry of getting lost. This road takes you to that road which leads you on to the next.  Can't even remember how I got there but a blog led to a blog with a post titled, "When You're An Affirmation Junkie." Well, say something nice and call me a pusher. Hello, my name is Elizabeth and I'm a major affirmation junkie. I made a sharp u-turn and pulled over on that blog. The premise of the article was we small, self-absorbed humans have a deep unquenchable desire to be loved. At least that's what I took. All we need is love, love, love is all we need. Sing it to me boys.

The thing is Christ loves me completely, yet I so often search for affirmation, love, in other's words in other's actions. And on some days my fellow, fleshly humans do a nice job of topping off my love tank. But the thing is they'll never overflow it. They'll never quench it. Only He can.

A holy experience that was the name of the "street" I turned down. Narcissistic girl got lost on a holy experience blog and while there she was reminded of the power of thanks.

I love posts where people list their happy things, things they're enjoying, things that make them smile and dance on the inside. I'd planned on making my own "happy things" posts. Then I got lost on "church girl's" blog.  She has a real name and she's a legit writer, but I prefer church girl. Anyways church girl started this whole caravan of a "grateful community." Basically she challenges you to open your eyes and count your many blessings, name them one by one. I probably should hush and just let you go sit awhile with "church girl." After all her blog is holy and mine is ahem, narcissistic.

All that blabbering and I get to my point. I'm in, The Elizabeth Highsmith shall put down her needle laden I and count her blessings. A thousands thanks, the beginning....

1. For purple Georgia wisteria
2. For cute ole men who cut your field on a John Deer tractor
3. For babies who ask you for popsicles when they come over
4. For impromptu walks with your neighbor and their babies
5. For His sunshine that warms my spirit like far few things can
6. For His son who loves me more than I'll ever know
7. For feeling so full of life on a Saturday that I bust out in a random self made opera song
8. For bright orange old timey cars
9. For knowing when I'm wrong, I can turn around and get it right

For these and all other gifts, I give thanks.

To be continued....

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth! I'm so sorry that I have not visited in awhile. I've been online less and less. I miss reading your fun and honest blog. You are a sweetheart!! I find..that there are days where I crave affirmation...crave love. Then, there are other days where I don't. Such is life. I'm trying to make the "don't" days outweigh the crave days. I want to crave His love. You are a funny, smart and beautiful young woman!! I hope you have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh honey, how you've touched a chord in both my spirit and my heart...
    The thing is Christ loves me completely, yet I so often search for affirmation, love, in other's words in other's actions. And on some days my fellow, fleshly humans do a nice job of topping off my love tank. But the thing is they'll never overflow it.

    Love you, sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day! Comments are my favorite!