Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Blustery Day

Rustling the leaves, blowing my pages, whirring background noise of my morning. Afternoon walk and I heard it loud, the wonder of the wind. Simultaneously I was aware of the wind, i heard it's sound, i watched it ripple across water and sway the trees, blades of grass danced at it's power and i felt it cool on my face, chilling my arms. And I marveled once more at the power of God to move. And my heart wondered how soul can live with wind reduced to scientific terms and reasonable effect. Beyond reason, soulfully comforting, this God of mine, heart stirrer, wind maker.

He said to me, "Prophesy to the breath. Prophesy, son of man. Tell the breath, 'God, the Master, says, Come from the four winds. Come, breath. Breathe on these slain bodies. Breathe life!'"

The Wind                                            
I saw you toss the kites on high
And blow the birds about the sky;
And all around I heard you pass,
Like ladies' skirts across the grass--
O wind, a-blowing all day long,
O wind, that sings so loud a song!

I saw the different things you did,
But always you yourself you hid.
I felt you push, I heard you call,
I could not see yourself at all--
O wind, a-blowing all day long,
O wind, that sings so loud a song!

O you that are so strong and cold,
O blower, are you young or old?
Are you a beast of field and tree,
Or just a stronger child than me?
O wind, a-blowing all day long,
O wind, that sings so loud a song!
-Robert Louis Stevenson

2 comments:

  1. your words are like buttah! and i have such fond memories of my girls reciting this poem!
    happy saturday friend,
    xo,
    edie

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day! Comments are my favorite!