Thursday, January 20, 2011

Chili "Can" Do

Last night I came a pauper, baring my poorness and begging for mercy.  Tonight I shall feed you. You might should prefer the groveling. For I'm not a butcher, a baker nor a candlestick maker and I blame my mother.  "I taught you how to read you can figure out how to cook," she said.

My favorite kitchen utensil is my ice cream scoop, the microwave my ally and dinner at your house? Hello, I love you. But alas I do like to eat and can't support a seven day a week sushi habit. So I cheat and I make things up,or I blow air kisses to the few, the proud, the brave who just throw it all in one bowl and call it done. Let's eat.

I give you Chili Can Do, which I prefer you say with a French accent. French? chili? in the same sentence, are you scared? I made this up on a very frugal whim to pare down the cupboard. And with every can that I opened and dash that I dashed my pride grew till I was sure Betty Crocker would be asking around for my number. Snicker, but it wasn't deplorable, so last night I consoled myself with it's resurrection. And this time I wrote it down, here you be Elizabeth's Great Gas-by. Hehe, I have brothers!


This is can heavy as preservatives are friendly and forgiving. It's sans meat, because browning beef makes me all willy nilly and I think the sizzle sounds like cows mooing.

Rinse yo beans, any ole beans ya got's and or likes. I am a label snob, I made the generic can hide. I feel awful. 

Chop some veggies and make yo mama proud. I find sauteing the tar out of veggies is some how rewarding



Throw in what else ya got wait impatiently, take a taste test and burn your tongue.

As love covers a multitude of sins, I give you sour cream, cilantro and cheese. Dish it up and call me if you need counseling.

The un-laboriously, blabber, rambling free recipe

2 Cans Black Beans
1 Can Kidney Beans
1 Can Great Northern Beans
1 Can Diced Tomatoes
1 Can Tomato Sauce
1 Can Chicken Broth
1 Can (small) whole kernel corn
Carrots, Onion, Bell Pepper chopped (maybe a cup and a half)
Garlic, Salt, Pepper
2 T Chili Powder
1 T Cumin
Dash of red pepper flakes

Saute the veggies in garlic, rinse and drain your beans, toss it all in. Simmer for 1 and 1/2 hours.
You can do it! Or laugh at those play at cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, make my day! Comments are my favorite!