Sunday, September 11, 2011

Forgetting

Preacher tells the story of almost forgetting his wife's birthday. I forget his middle name, he's my brother, I should know it but I forget it. It's sitting on the counter and I'm driving to athens, the water bottle I forget it too. Even now, typing here I'm wondering did I pay that bill? Money's not the problem it's just did I remember? All these forgotten things and countless more and they'll just keep adding up. Creature of habit, creature of forgetting. We remember because we forget.

Ten years ago doesn't seem so far away when today we remember where we were, who we were with and how we felt the day the unfathomable became history. I was in class and remember dragging the tv in us all transfixed to the horror, leaving early, driving home the scary unknown silent in the car but loud in my ears. We'll all remember.

I see the pictures and read the posts and I am most chagrined by not what I remember but by what I forget. Do we remember when we forgot? Probably not and we probably won't remember when we forget again. I forget the sacrifice, I forget the lives lost, I forget the turmoil and I forget the gospel too.

The gospel, I forget to preach it daily to myself. The truth that we are all creatures of our God and King, maimed and wounded trampling through this life. I forget my only hope is Him and I forget His great sacrifice that made me His. And I forget to pass it on, that the cross is arms wide open. A love that bids us come. Come ye sinners, poor and needy, weak and wounded sick and sore, Come ye thirsty, come ye weary-heavy laden, Jesus ready stands to save you....

On a day set aside to remember evil unleashed and those who beat it back, I am grateful for remembering the power of the gospel that conquers the greatest evil. Thankful for this post that pointed my prone to wander heart back to His streams of mercy never ceasing.

He is a God who never forgets, that our sins are as far as the east is from the west a chasm spanned by a Savior's sacrifice. His love reaches to the heavens, His faithfulness to the skies, His righteousness is like the mighty mountains. His mercy never runs dry. He is my refuge, He is my strength. And He never forgets.

3 comments:

  1. So thankful for His mercies ... and His sea of forgetfulness ... where my sins now reside ... under the Blood. Thanks for reminding me of the things that need to be remembered .... lest I forget. (What is the Preacher's middle name anyway? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nicely said.... and so sadly true! For years, every time my plane took off when I travelled on business, I would say a prayer for a safe arrival, something I never did before 9/11. And just like you said, one day, I felt safe again and that ritual stopped, and I just kept doing whatever I was involved in at take off.... With all of the press this week - When Beth and I left Thursday, I prayed again... As well as our trip home too.

    I need a sticky note that is permanently stuck on the back of my hand that reminds me hourly of how blessed I am to know, believe, and be forgiven by our Amazing God....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is truth. I miss you and our heart to hearts. Thank you for the blessing of this post. It has made my 1000 Thanks list. Thank you for speaking truth into my life, and the lives of my family.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day! Comments are my favorite!