Friday, December 9, 2011

Whole Wheat Banana Bread


Straight from the hip toting, baby loving, nursing mamas known as the la leche a league. What can I say I was brought forth naturally and was nourished on the mother's milk. I don't care what she says, she wanted to be a hippy. This is our bread and I promise it doesn't taste like cardboard.

Whole Wheat Banana Bread (from The Whole Foods for the Whole Family Cookbook)
Ingredients
1 cup bananas (mashed)
1/3 cup canola oil (can use applesauce)
1/2 cup brown sugar or honey
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup oats and or nuts (optional)

I add a hefty dash of vanilla and hearty helping of cinnamon because I'm a lover not a hater, though the recipe doesn't call for it.

(mix the first four ingredients; mix the dry ingredients, add oats and nuts if inclined, then alternately add the wet and dry ingredients with the hot water until blended. If you use oats you might need a little more water. Use the oats, they're yummy! bake at 325 for about an hour-makes one large loaf or 3 small ones)


I can eat a mini loaf by my loan some in two sittings and that's with great restraint. I gift this all the time and throw in some cinnamon honey butt'ah to ward off the stink eye of, "Whole Wheat Banana Bread, huh?" I use sister friend's recipe and I sing blessings over her as I eat it by the spoonful. That butt'ah and this bread are a happy wedded lot.

Bake it, Slice it, Give it, Eat it and for the love of all things healthy slather it in the butter cause I said healthy and healthy is as healthy does.

Hugs to Edie for throwing a recipe party.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, make my day! Comments are my favorite!